Five reasons for Five Stars:
- The One Dice a Universal game system. Quick, easy, straightforward, but surprisingly robust rules light generic core mechanics.
- Pirates! Arr Maties, here there be pirates.
- Dragons! Flying, magic using, fire breathing, gold loving dragons.
- Extensive background. Almost the full background from the Pirates and Dragons Renaissance game is in this little book.
- Stand alone complete game. No need to buy the One Dice Universal core book or the Renaissance Pirates and Dragons book, this is a complete game.
One Dice provides a very quick to learn, easy to run system. The base mechanic is 1D6+Skills/Attributes vs Target Difficulty. It includes magic, character experience, skills, combat, ship bs ship combat and more.
Pirates and Dragons provides exactly what it says it does. Lots of pirates, from four different nationalities plus native Islanders, sea monsters, mythological beings, and of course Dragons! The setting is a riff on the Caribbean of the Golden Age of Piracy, but with magic, spirits, monsters and more. Little detail is given to the world beyond the basic setting, but that is covered in rich detail.
Each of the dragons detailed is a major personality with its own quirks. Some are worshipped by tribes of Islanders, at least one is Undead, some are shapeshifters.
For those who like the idea of Pirates and Dragons but want either a less expensive entry, or a lighter set of game mechanics I highly recommend One Dice Pirates and Dragons.